Wednesday, 25 July 2012

'Magical Meadow' Embroidered Felt Wall Hanging

 TA-DAA!
 Hello my lovely friends. 
Today I can finally show you my latest wet felted and embellished art work. I've called this one Magical Meadow. I think it looks as though it should have fairies hiding in amongst the flowers, lol. 
 This is how it began, looking all soft and fluffy, completely covering the top of my kitchen table. For anyone who doesn't know how felt is made, first several layers of fine wispy tufts of Merino wool tops are layered onto bubble wrap to create a background. Then more wool and other interesting fibres are added on top to create the floral decoration. It looks beautiful and is soooo soft and fluffy but very fragile, this one took me about 7 hours to lay out. I had to stand on a chair to get it all in the picture, at the same time shouting at the rest of the MarmaladeRose household to 'Shut that door! Don't cause a draft! It'll all blow away! Aaargh!'
 Then the magical but scary part happens. The felt has to be wetted with warm soapy water and then agitated by rolling and rubbing and bit of rough slapping around to cause the wool fibres to lock together. In fact you treat it exactly the opposite to how you would treat your best woolly jumper. The scary part is that you never quite know how much the wool will shrink and where all your carefully placed flowers and petals will end up, as they can move around quite a bit.
 Wow! Look how much it has shrunk! Remember it filled the table top when it was dry. Now it has to be left to dry naturally, this one took nearly 3 days! That'll be tea on our knees then folks!

 This is a close up of the felt drying. The colours are a little more diffused after felting but now the fabric is extremely strong and will not fray or tear.
 Next I stuff as much of it under my sewing machine as I possibly can and begin some mad free motion machine embroidery. This is the back of the piece. There is a lot of threading and unthreading of the sewing machine and hundreds of tail ends to be snipped off both on the front and the back. I got through 5 full bobbins of bottom thread doing this one.
 Next comes the hand embroidery. Lots and lots of French Knots on this one and some particularly shiny gold thread that twinkles beautifully when it catches the light.
Lets take a closer look. If you click on a picture it should pop up larger.
None of the flowers are meant to look real,
they're just imaginary. 


 I think this is my favourite bit, lol. I love these fluffy yellow flowers, they each have a halo of gold stitching around them.
 Then just when you've sat back and admired your work thinking that you're all done... you remember that it has to be backed with fabric which I carefully hand stitch to the felt.
 Then I cover a wooden rod with the same fabric and slot it through the casing so that when the finished piece is hung up, all you see from the front is the felt.
Voi-la!
Fingers crossed for a quick sale and a loving new home.
.
Next time we'll catch up with some secret crochet...sssh...

Love Fi x

45 comments:

Annie said...

Wow Fi that is truly stunning. I love it and am sure it will fly off the wall sold very quickly.
Well done you.
Hugs,
A x

Monique said...

Oh wow, it is really magic. What a beautiful colours and what a lot of work. You can be very proud. I can imagine how beautiful it looks on your wall.

Groetjes, Monique

Ali said...

Your wall hanging really is magical. It's beautiful and worth all the time you've put into it. Ali x

bonzogirl said...

yayyyyyy! I can even see the fireflies with their lanterns!! very mystical!Knew you were the Fairy Queen of Hawes!!!!Love J..x

bonzogirl said...

yayyyyyy! I can even see the fireflies with their lanterns!! very mystical!Knew you were the Fairy Queen of Hawes!!!!Love J..x

My Norfolk Life said...

I am in complete love with your work - it's truly amazing.
Claire

sue said...

OMG that is amazing, so beautiful. thanks for explaining the process too very interesting and like you say exciting. Must be a heart stopping moment when you unwrap the newly felted wool!

❀ Sassybelle Blooms said...

Wow, completely magical and stunningly beautiful.....and oh so much work and time invovled.....my Little Miss has a lovely book about fairies with wonderful illustrations....your magic meadow reminds me of Little Miss's book...the colours and flowers and sparkles. Sassybelle -xxx-

Hilary said...

What a work of art! Absolutely stunning. Hil

**Anne** said...

WOW, you work is beautiful and I really enjoyed reading about the creative process.
Thanks for sharing,
Anne xx

Lululiz said...

Gobsmackingly gorgeous!!! WOW.

wendz said...

I am in love with that work of art. It is utterly magical and beautiful and like a fairytale meadow. Could look at that for ages.

I bet it will sell very quickly -it's awesome.

And thanks for sharing the process - that's a huge amount of work!

KC'sCourt! said...

WOW! Thats beautiful
Julie xxxxxx

The Vintage Gardener said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Anneli said...

Absolutely gorgeous...and magical indeed!! :) Maybe if I ever get tired of crocheting, I'll venture out into felting! Your blog is very inspiring! :)

Betty said...

Spectacular, you are very talented, I love this one, especially the fluffy yellow flowers with gold halo.

chocolatefrog said...

Really fabulous! I love the extra dimension you get combining felting and stitch. And you even covered the batten, what a perfectionist!

dosierosie said...

Fabulous, I'm sure it will fly out the door.
Gillx

Tracey said...

That is absolutely stunning.
Could you tell us the price your works of art are going for at the gallery? I've clicked the gallery link but can't see any items for sale. It would be helpful for those of us that don't live near.

Like l said that is absolutely gorgeous and l hope you are very proud of yourself and the price reflects the time and skill used.

Tracey said...

That is absolutely stunning.
Could you tell us the price your works of art are going for at the gallery? I've clicked the gallery link but can't see any items for sale. It would be helpful for those of us that don't live near.

Like l said that is absolutely gorgeous and l hope you are very proud of yourself and the price reflects the time and skill used.

MarmaladeRose said...

Hi Tracey.
I think the gallery's website is on their 'to-do' list. They only opened at Easter this year so have a lot to do.
The Magical Meadow wall hanging is £250. I forgot to measure it but it's a bit larger than the last one so I would guess its aprox 32" (80cm) square. Thanks for asking. x

Wendy said...

Stunning, just stunning. Your work is incredible. Thanks for the insight into how you work, I've always wanted to know how you create these pieces.

... Bimbi said...

Soooooo beautiful!
Bimbi x

sandiart said...

Words cannot describe how beautiful your felting work is Fi, it is very magical and you have 'the' felting knack no doubt about it. All the embroidery is beautiful too.
xo Sandi

Judith said...

Truly magical! Wonderful work. Judith x

kaysbee said...

You do such beautiful work! Really gorgeous.

How in the world do you ever figure out what price to put on these pieces? It has to take hours and hours and hours of work; the materials have to be factored in; and your artistry has a value as well.

Whatever your getting, your underpaid!

The Weaver of Grass said...

This is absolutely first class Fiona - do hope it soon sells.

Artesanatos Loy - Flores de fitas em cetim said...

LINDOOOOOOOOO

Cathy at PotterJotter said...

Gorgeous - and I think I can see the fairies in it! xCathy

Twiglet said...

Oh my goodness! What can I say - as someone who has dabbled with felting I know just how long it must have taken you and what talent you have to achieve such a gorgeous piece! Pop into my blog and having a go at guessing the scarves in the rainbow!! x Jo

Sweet Seahorse said...

Oh wow, I so want that artwork! It is just glorious. Apart from being extraordinarily gifted you must be extraordinarily patient too. I would be tearing my hair out after the first hour I think! :)
When I was young my mum used to take my brother and I to see artwork by a very gifted lady called Annemieke Mien. She made large wall-hangings of birds, animals and plantlife which were all felt and machine embroidery. As a kid I wasn't terribly excited by it all, but on reflection I am glad Mum took us and exposed us to different art forms.
xXx Helen

louisa @ the really good life said...

I've adored your last two pieces and your sort-of how-to here inspired me to give it a go myself - my piece wasn't anywhere near as pretty as yours (of course) and the felt is a bit thin (underestimated the amount of wool) but I think I'm hooked on a new hobby!

One question: do you have any particular techniques for agitating it? When I've felted plain colour shapes (for pot holders etc) in the past, I've scrubbed at it etc but that would probably ruin the picture. Any tips would be very welcome! :)

Pearly Queen said...

So beautiful- it's sure to sell in no time at all! I just love it.

Could you put up a virtual course on Craftsy?

Andrea said...

That is beautiful, now I want to try wet felting.

Carol said...

That is just beautiful Fee. I don't think it will be hanging in the gallery for many days before someone falls in love with it.
Yes, you could imagine fairies hiding among the lovely flowers.
Carol xx

Little Blue Mouse said...

It's beautiful, and what a lot of work!!

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

wow wee... utterly fabulous

Janine said...

Hi Fiona, I just found yuor blog and I'm amized by you wall hanging art, great work, greetings from Jeany from Germany who also loves to felt!!

Ash said...

A little taste of fairyland!
Love it. x

ozgrkdn said...

Hi Fiona, My daughter's blog LookbookUnlimited is began broadcasting...I hope, you do support her:)))Have a nice day:))

Susan said...

That is truly stunning. Saw you over at Cait's blog and liked that you said you excell at cloudwatching. But obviously, you are excellent at this art. Your work is breathtaking.

Alison said...

Wow this is stunningly pretty:-)

Proje Çantası said...

WoW! Perfect. I love it.

Linda H in Lakeland, Fl said...

This is so lovely. You've given me some confidence that just maybe I too might be able to try doing one of these. It's on my bucket list of things to do for my home.
Thanks,Linda

sara j said...

I am in awe....what a stunning piece of art! Fanciful, colorful (home of fairies I am sure), beautifully executed and just gorgeous. So happy to find your blog. I think I'll go droll for a while! :)